Re: Putting in a good word for NOT selecting our cohousing neighbors
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 06:11:54 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 26, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Joani Blank wrote:

Many, many people, when they first hear about cohousing communities,
say that they wouldn't consider living in one unless they could do it
with their friends

An ironic side note, when I tried to convince my daughter to start a cohousing community because many of her friends from college were moving back to the same area after many years of graduate school and first jobs, she said it would never work. We wouldn't be friends anymore. We all love each other and would be there in a heartbeat if we needed each other but in a month we would be at each other's throats. We're friends because we are independent and can mix and match. If we were living together we couldn't do that. Not a chance that _____ is going to design my commonhouse or ____ is going to decide what I eat, even if it's only on Sunday. I'd rather have them as friends.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC