Re: Filtering members in a forming community
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 07:33:37 -0800 (PST)
Hi Nathan,
I don't think you need to apologize for anything. You can ask away, and people can choose whether to respond or not... And I think the questions you asked
are good ones: Every group struggles with them.

I agree with Joani: If you come up with clear enough mission statement and a set of goal (ie: clarifies your values, and put them out there), this would
act as the filter you need.
A crystal ball would be very useful too :) - but I don't know where to get one.

I grew up in Israel on a kibbutz (and visited there later on when I didn't reside there any longer): I remember the kibbutz making great efforts to filter new members, by having them live in the kibbutz for quite a while before voting on whether to accept them as full members. Even that system proved really faulty. Sometimes it's easy to spot that "something is wrong" with a person, in a way which would interfere with good integration and functioning within
a community, but people are complex, and what might turn out in the long
run to be a huge problem isn't always evident until a group is way way down the road. It goes the other way too: People who are seemingly odd and don't
"fit" might prove wonderful given time and opportunity.
So, the short and the long of it is: Self selection based on clear principles
is probably as good as it gets.

BTW - for those who are interested: The latest issue of COMMUNITIES magazine
is about helping one's local economy thrive.  I recommend it!

Best,
Racheli (Sonora Cohousing, Tucson).