Re: Membership screening
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:09:06 -0800 (PST)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Audrey Watson" <audrey [at] galisteo.com>
To: <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Membership screening

 We use our membership purchase process as a way to screen new members. They
 are required to participate in a social event (a community dinner
 qualifies), go to at least one general meeting, at least one cluster
 meeting, and to go thru a clearness interview where they meet with members
 to talk about living in community and we discuss the pros and cons.  .

And, they have to have done that process before they can sign a purchase and
sale agreement,

This can work for first time buyers of lots or homes from the LLP or LLC since
they will also sign the purchase and sale agreement.  But what about resales?
Can one pragmatically (and legally?) enforce the "meeting the community"
requirements.  A community I know had the parties sign the purchase and sale
agreement for a resale before the community as a whole was even aware of the
buyer's interest.  (It worked out fine with no problems).

Michael Barrett
Shadowlake Village,
Blacksburg, VA.