Re: Expanding community options
From: Shari Rediess (sredies1rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:42:30 -0800 (PST)
We in Rochester are exploring a sort of co-housing lite/retrofit option that
is similar to what you describe here.  We were daunted by the full-fledged
cohousing route--the complexity and cost of the whole thing.  We also are
starting with a community of friends that already exists and has built trust
over years of raising kids together, vacationing together, taking care of
each other during stress times, cooking at each others houses etc.  So we
have a community but we just hate having to drive so far to see each other.
Because we are starting with a community that wants to stay together, we
don't want to lose anyone--that means that we needed flexibility to consider
different finances, different housing needs/wishes, and different moving
time-tables.  After several meetings it seemed that building one place for
all of us was untenable.

Now after several meetings with neighborhood/city planners, a couple
developers, and a few architects, we are moving toward cooperating to
build/rehab a common space, but buying houses individually in the same
neighborhood.  We have a neighborhood identified, have met with neighborhood
planners and real estate professionals, and even have some potential
properties identified.  The advantage to this is the group decision making
is simplified down to just the common house (rather than the whole
development).  We are lucky that we have a neighborhood fits the kind of
characteristics that work well for retrofitting and that the neighborhood
planning group is very excited about this idea (and is working with us to
find properties). Our group has people on varying timetables for moving, so
this approach allows for flexibility.  A couple people in the group want a
bit more space than this city neighborhood offers so they may buy a house a
bit farther away, but still much closer than we all are now--and they can
still be part of the common house.  Also, as we meet new people in the
neighborhood, or if other friends decide they want to move to the
neighborhood, we can decide how to expand membership in the common house
later on (rather than recruiting new members to fund a big development). If
it stays just us, that's fine too.

Nothing's built yet, no one's moved yet, so I'll let you know what happens.
But right now this seems like a workable model for us.

Shari Rediess
Rochester NY