Re: Expanding community options
From: Rose M Brandt (rmbrandtjuno.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 05:46:36 -0800 (PST)
I am interested in the experiences of others who, like Shari, are
bringing together a current network of people in mostly existing urban
space. In my case, it's a network that started in several cooperative
houses in an area of Philadelphia in the '60s and '70s. We are now
thinking about co-housing. We would not be exclusive, in fact would like
it to be intergenerational and to include interests broader than those
that have kept us together over the years. I intend to check out the book
that Rob suggested, Creating Community Anywhere. I look forward to
hearing how Shari's group proceeds. Do others have suggestions for
materials to read, ideas to consider, or models we could look at?

Thanks in advance,
Rose

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:42:18 -0500 "Shari Rediess"
<sredies1 [at] rochester.rr.com> writes:
> [...]
> full-fledged
> cohousing route--the complexity and cost of the whole thing.  We
> also are
> starting with a community of friends that already exists and has
> built trust
> over years of raising kids together, vacationing together, taking
> care of
> each other during stress times, cooking at each others houses etc.
> So we
> have a community but we just hate having to drive so far to see each
> other.
> Because we are starting with a community that wants to stay
> together, we
> don't want to lose anyone--that means that we needed flexibility to
> consider
> different finances, different housing needs/wishes, and different
> moving
> time-tables.  After several meetings it seemed that building one
> place for
> all of us was untenable.
>
> Now after several meetings with neighborhood/city planners, a
> couple
> developers, and a few architects, we are moving toward cooperating
> build/rehab a common space, but buying houses individually in the
> same
> neighborhood.  We have a neighborhood identified, have met with
> neighborhood
> planners and real estate professionals, and even have some
> potential
> properties identified.  The advantage to this is the group decision
> making
> is simplified down to just the common house (rather than the whole
> development).  We are lucky that we have a neighborhood fits the
> kind of
> characteristics that work well for retrofitting and that the
> neighborhood
> planning group is very excited about this idea (and is working with
> us to
> find properties). Our group has people on varying timetables for
> moving, so
> this approach allows for flexibility.  A couple people in the group
> want a
> bit more space than this city neighborhood offers so they may buy a
> house a
> bit farther away, but still much closer than we all are now--and
> they can
> still be part of the common house.  Also, as we meet new people in
> the
> neighborhood, or if other friends decide they want to move to the
> neighborhood, we can decide how to expand membership in the common
> house
> later on (rather than recruiting new members to fund a big
> development). If
> it stays just us, that's fine too.
>
> Nothing's built yet, no one's moved yet, so I'll let you know what
> happens.
> But right now this seems like a workable model for us.

·..