Re: New Bulbs
From: Philip Proefrock (architectcornellbox.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 07:38:52 -0800 (PST)
T12 fluorescent tubes (which are 1-1/2" diameter) will probably be
manufactured for many years to come, so I don't think there's an immediate
need to stock up.  But fixtures for T8 (1" diameter) and T5 (5/8"
diameter) tubes are increasingly the norm.  These newer fixtures are
higher efficiency than the older, larger ones, and they also contain less
mercury, so there is a multiple benefit to using them.

As for the question about what to do with old incandescent bulbs after
installing compact fluorescents, I have a couple fixtures that have
dimmers, so I cannot use compact fluorescent bulbs there.  Compact
fluorescents are also sometimes problematic for use outdoors or other cold
locations (restaurant refrigerators or freezers, for example), so the
incandescents could be used for those purposes, as well.

Philip Proefrock

flourescent bulb were being fazed out. Specifically, they are being
replaced