Re: openings before meals
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 07:38:16 -0800 (PST)
What Eris said here 'resonates' with me. (Now there's a word that entered my vocabulary through cohousing.) I hadn't thought about it much, but not going through our little meal gathering ritual would leave me empty in a way. It's a celebration of coming together. Here's our routine:

- 1st bell rings about 10 minutes before meal time. It's a big bell out on the front porch of the common house. People start to gather. - 2nd bell rings. People should have already gathered. Many haven't of course. :-)
 - Someone, usually a cook, announces "Circle Up".
 - We all hold hands in a circle around the buffet table.
 - The cooks lead the circle which includes:
     - Introduce who the cooks are and any helpers.
     - Introduce the food: veggie options, no dairy, spicy, etc.
     - Introduce guests.
     - Brief announcements from anyone.
     - A blessing (often one or another short song we've learned).
 - People arriving late quietly enter the circle.

Our blessing can be anything (cook's choice). It's usually pretty pagan, but on occasion will be Jewish or Christian. We're generally pretty good at embracing and celebrating (or at least tolerating) each other's spiritual expression, rather than taking offense -- although we too went through the big "celebrating Christmas in the common house" issue a number of years ago.

Cheers and blessings,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"It is a worthy thing to fight for one's own freedom; it is another sight finer to fight for another man's."
                - Mark Twain