mercury and compact fluorescent
From: Philip S Proefrock (pspcornellbox.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:00:01 -0800 (PST)
Concern over mercury in the environment is actually another reason to
choose to use compact fluorescent bulbs rather than incandescent bulbs.
One of the largest sources for mercury in the environment is from trace
amounts in coal that become airborne when that coal is burned for
generating electricity.

>From TreeHugger.com:
"Ironically, compact fluorescent bulbs are responsible for less mercury
contamination than the incandescent bulbs they replaced, even though
incandescents don't contain any mercury. The highest source of mercury in
America?s air and water results from the burning of fossil fuels, such as
coal, at utilities that supply electricity. Since a compact fluorescent
bulb uses 75 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb, and lasts at
least six times longer, it is responsible for far less mercury pollution
in the long run. A coal-burning power plant will emit four times more
mercury to produce the electricity for an incandescent bulb than for a
compact fluorescent."
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/06/what_about_merc.php

See also:
http://www.nema.org/lamprecycle/epafactsheet-cfl.pdf