Conflict Resolution and Mediation Policies
From: Jean Weiss (jbeanweissjuno.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:13:12 -0800 (PST)
Greetings, All:
Pleasant Hill Cohousing "Connection and Conflict Resolution Team" here.
Seeking copies of documents that outline clear and effective
steps/procedures/policies for managing conflict within your community.  We are
just beginning to create well-defined protocols for how folks in conflict
proceed.  We would like to address not only 1:1 interpersonal conflicts but
also set up systems for larger bodies in dispute: an individual vs. a
committee, committee vs. committee, committee vs. HOA, etc.
We're currently involved in broad-based NVC training at Pleasant Hill CoHo and
already have a solid written document offering tips and suggestions for how to
handle 1:1 conflict intra- and inter-personally.  It focuses on working with
emotions and communications skills.  What we're lacking are systems and
policies.
Of particular interest to us are policies regarding the engagement of
professional mediation services.  What steps do folks have to go through to get
to the step of professional mediation?  Are folks who find themselves in an
ongoing conflict "required" to go through mediation?  Who pays for it?  How is
that determined?
If committees themselves are in conflict, who arbitrates?  When and how do such
matters come to HOA?  We are lucky not to be facing such sweeping or dire
situations right now, but wish to have systems in place that will guide us if
and when we ever have to face them.
Thanks for any and all offerings.  My email is jbeanweiss [at] juno.com.
With gratitude and blessings,
Jean Weiss,
CCRT Chair