Re: so will it be cohousing? Richdale Place in Cambridge, MA
From: Dave and Diane (daveanddeeverizon.net)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 18:36:48 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,
I have retitled this thread, 'so "will it" be cohousing?' because I think cohousing is less about the actual "bricks and mortar" and more about the attitudes of the people after they move in. Do they make a dedicated effort to create community? Do they actively strive to resolve conflicts? Do they make it a point to try to draw people in? How much time to they put into the maintenance and feeding of their community? Is there any money in the budget for retreats and workshops so people can continue to understand one anothers' differences, or is it all about putting away money to repair the roof? There is so much time and effort dedicated to construction timelines, budgets, and finance during the development process that affective learning often gets short shift. I gave a presentation on cohousing three or four years ago at the Harvest Food Co-op in Cambridge and the realtor for Richdale Place, Jean Leveaux, was one of two people who showed up. So I would not scoff at developer-driven cohousing--I think it's an interesting concept, and I would like to see more discussion about it on this list.

--Diane(:^]
outreach facilitator
jp cohousing  617-522-2209
Box 300420 boston ma
http://www.jpcohousing.org
"The people who surround you define the quality of your life."