Re: how can a new group use existing knowledge?
From: Rosemary Gould (rgouldcstone.net)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:23:52 -0800 (PST)
We have been very fortunate in how we are getting started because 2 of the families who were our pioneers were already very experienced with cohousing. They have guided us to accept a lot of the received wisdom of the earlier pioneers and we are streamlining the process even though it is not developer-driven. One of the biggest things we did was just accept, wholesale, the community structure and rules of Shadowlake Village in Blacksburg, Virginia, and also (soon, we hope!) make a contract with the same builder/developer. Partnering with one established community as a sort of collective mentor would probably help you a lot and save you money.

Rosemary Gould
Blue Ridge Cohousing (forming)
Charlottesville VA

Andrew Netherton wrote:
As someone participating in what can only be described as a brand-new
group (Laurel Creek Commons in Waterloo, ON, Canada), Sharon's post
(relevant points below) makes good sense to me.  Cohousing isn't new,
so why should we expect to fight all the same battles as the hundreds
that have come before us?  Yes, we will still have the standard
growing pains of a group coming together, but shouldn't the rest of
the process be pretty much ironed out now?

So, how can we, a new group just now considering a membership
structure and decision process, reap the benefit of all the
accumulated knowledge out there?  Is it as simple as hiring a
cohousing consultant?  Is it as complex as visiting communities we
want to emulate, and learning from their history?  Something in
between, or altogether different?  A checklist?