Re: sample document library: laying the groundwork
From: Andrew Netherton (andrewnethertongmail.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:47:53 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far.

Ann, you're right, a wiki would be perfect for this sort of thing.
(For clarification, Wikipedia.org is a wiki-based encyclopedia.  It is
arguably the best-known implementation of a wiki, but "wiki" is the
proper term for a collaborative open-content website.)

The one and only issue stopping me from using a wiki is not knowing
which one to use, or whether there are ones out there that are free,
but can have restrictions put on who submits and edits the
information.  (As we've seen with the Cohousing entry in
Wikipedia.org, vandals/pranksters are out there, and I believe some
form of "read only" protection should be used for the sample document
library and not leave it totally open.)

Of course, it is possible to use the wiki software on any host
computer.  If one of the many Cohousing organizations are willing to
host a wiki on their site for the purpose of compiling, tracking, and
distributing sample documents, that would by far be the best option.
If that can be committed to quickly, it would be a lot quicker to
collect all sample documents into their final structure than for me to
collect and store them and later try to re-organize them.

So, open letter to the Cohousing organizations: Cohousing.org,
Cohousing.ca?  Would either of you care to host such a repository of
cohousing documents?  Will you host a wiki for such a purpose?

I also know that many intentional communities have very strong
education mandates - would this count?  Ecovillage at Ithaca, I'm
looking at you!  :)

Collecting the documents might be the easy part.  If we can get
hosting determined, and a wiki system set up, it is conceivable that
the libary may be self-organizing.

I will send messages off-list to Cohousing.org, Cohousing.ca and
Ecovillage at Ithaca representatives tomorrow if there is no on-list
response.  I'm geared to get this thing up and running sooner than
later!

Regards,
Andrew Netherton
Laurel Creek Commons (plunging in head first)
Waterloo, ON, Canada