Re: Building Consensus Sociocratically
From: maggiedutton (mduttonshaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:28:15 -0800 (PST)
> Brian Bartholomew wrote off list
> Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:31 PM
> To: maggiedutton
> Subject: Re: Building Consensus Sociocratically
>
> Thanks, it sounds like Sociocracy has a much lower bar for Objections
> Which Can't Be Moved Past than I had thought.  So if someone doesn't
> consent to the issue of new property owners paying in above the sale
> price because the math doesn't make sense to them, it ends there.
>
> I didn't send this to the main list, because I didn't want to ask
> Sharon a bunch of questions prior to reading her new book.

                                                        Brian

Hi Brian,
In the example...i think it is the outgoing owner who pays the fee when they
sell.  A new owner could ask that a policy be revisited.  A policy decision
like this in Sociocracy would have a specific review date at which time it's
effectiveness would be measured.
Sounds like the aim is related to having a capital or reserve
fund....so...once the group consents to this Aim a proposal would be
drafted.  If someone didn't think the "math" made sense I am not sure that
would be considered a paramount objection.  They would need to explain what
it was about it that didn't make sense so the group understood and could
work on making it clearer or fairer.   There are a number of ways to work
through objections to incorporate them into proposals.  It is a process with
specific steps.
I am replying to the main list because I think it may be of interest to all.
I bet Sharon will weigh in about it when she has a chance.
Have you joined the Building Communities Group that Sharon started recently
where discussions about Sociocracy and Community are happening?
This would be a good topic on the Yahoo Sociocracy group too.  I will post
this there too from my other email address.
Maggie