Errant vacation messages
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
I'm sorry about the ten replies from a broken vacation program that the
list received last night.

Vacation programs should not reply to mailing list messages based on
the "headers" ** of messages from a listserv.  But if the program
generating the vacation message is not properly configured or otherwise
broken or inadequate replies can be inappropriate.

Please take steps when setting up a vacation program to avoid replies to
mailing lists. (It is not easily possible to give much detail due to the
numerous email programs and vacation programs in use.)

A sure way to prevent replies to a mailing list are to set your
subscription to "no mail" mode. For cohousing-L this is done via the
"Unsubscribing, password reminder, options" section toward the end of the
Cohousing-L Info page.  (via http://cohousing.org/cohousing-L - this
address is at the bottom of every message from the list) Changing requires
one's list password (the same form will send that to subscribers).

Tho I dont encourage it, you could unsubscribe and subscribe again after
your vacation.

If you hope you have your vacation program set up properly but are not
confident, you could email me and ask to be put in "moderation mode"
so I review any posts from you.  (I'd take you out of moderation
after the first legit ontopic post.)

** ("Headers" are a series of lines at the beginning of every email
message about the message and the path it took to get delivered.
Depending on the email program they are more or less difficult to view.)

Fred, listserv manager

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org