Re: Inter-generational Integration efforts
From: dahako (dahakoaol.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:54:48 -0700 (PDT)
  Hi -

 At Eno Commons, the pre-move preparation was mostly having a lot of social
events together and sort of acculturating to each other.

 One of the funny things that happened was that one member (cough*Robert
Heinich*cough) told us when we joined with our two little ones that he didn't
like kids and they didn't like him. He used to tell the toddlers and slightly
older kids that he was going to grill them and eat them with ketchup and
mustard. To his surprise, the kids loved this. One day, Robert arrived at our
house for a pancake breakfast/business meeting and our son Harry, who was 2-1/2
and still not speaking, ran away from Robert as he arrived at the door only to
return a moment later with the ketchup. Harry handed the ketchup to Robert, and
pointed to one of the other toddlers, clearly indicating who Robert was to
snack on first. After that, Robert sneaked the kids chocolate (yes, I noticed),
painted his house mustard/ketchup/mayo colors, and took on the job of
organizing babysitting for meetings because he felt the parents were too busy.
He's also a sucker for babies. The transformative power of getting to know each
other is amazing.

 At Eastern Village, we also brought the kids to all sorts of community
activities. Just before move-in, the parents and kids formulated some
provisional kid rules that were never formally adopted, although they were
presented to the community and discussed a couple of times. I think the main
thing was that the parents of on-site kids gave the non-parents permission to
send any kid home for any reason, and certain areas of the development were
made off-limits for play for safety reasons (elevators, fire stairs, workshop,
kitchen, and the green roof w/ supervision). We have discussed and updated the
kid rules once, but still not formally adopted them (more than 2 years on
site). We have had some bumps, and are having a pretty big baby boom, so I
guess we may need to get more formal soon.

 In general, I'm a fan of Rob Sandelin's advice to not make more rules than you
need to before you move in. For child policy especially, until your community
makes the transition from talking about "this family's kids" to "our
community's kids", you will not get the rules right anyway.

 Jessie Handforth Kome
 Eastern Village Cohousing
 Silver Spring, Maryland
 "Where some of my neighbors explained over Friday night dinner how I could
speed up my internet connection - and I was able to do it myself first try. And
another neighbor got tired of her music and is working her way through our CD
collection and sharing hers with us. And lately, most of the community business
seems to be getting done at the Village Knit-Wits get togethers."