Re: Gun ownership
From: Alexander Robin A (alexande.robiuwlax.edu)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
The issue is more complex that might first appear because there are at least
three factors involved, each with many possibilities. The first is why the gun
is owned and the second is how the gun is handled and stored. Assuming no
criminal intent, someone might own a gun for a) self-defense, b) hunting, c)
target shooting and competition, and d) decoration (as in a mounted antique).
There may be others I've missed.
The second is storage and handling: The gun could be stored a) off - site in a
gun club locker, b) on site but in a quality locked cabinet made for the
purpose, and c) just lying around.
The third is attitudes about people who own guns. Some people who don't like or
own guns can't imagine why anyone would want to have one unless they intended
to kill or harm something or someone.

As for why, I would be suspect of a and b. I don't think guns increase safety
in a self-defense sense and I admit I am an avid anti-hunter (I think killing
an animal for fun is murder, though I do have friends in WI who are deer
hunters and I don't try to impose my views on them). I fall into category c
and, mainly in my youth, had a lot of fun in a police sponsored target shooting
team. I also had friends who lived on farms and we laid waste to many a might
army of tin cans.

There is little reason to store a gun on site unless there is no alternative,
in which case a locked quality gun cabinet with a key that is well hidden may
be an acceptable solution.

There are a few more points I'd like to make but am spent for the time being -
these will deal mostly with gun safety if any are interested.

Robin Alexander