Call for articles, Communities magazine, Fall 2007 2
From: Communities Magazine (communitiesic.org)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 17:43:28 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

This is a Call for Articles for our Fall 2007 issue, “Does Beauty in Community Make Better ‘Community Glue’?” The issue will be out in mid-September, 2007.

Date to receive your article idea: May 21, 2007 Article deadline: June 4, 2007

1. Theme articles: “Does Beauty in Community Make Better ‘Community Glue’?”

Does your community or organized neighborhood value beauty in buildings and architecture? Is beauty and aesthetics a priority in your group? Does it make a difference in how your community functions, or how you feel about your community? Do you feel delighted when you see your built environment? Do you think aesthetics are overrated, that other community factors are far more valuable?

We are also seeking articles about:

• Creating community in your neighborhood • Starting a new community

• Process & communication issues in community• Seeking community to join

Word length is from 900 to 2500 words. We’re seeking articles written in a reader-friendly popular-magazine style, rather than in academic style.

If you'd like to submit an article let us know and we’ll send you Writers Guidelines. Contact Diana Christian at communities [at] ic.org or 828-669-9702.

If you'd like to submit photos let us know and we’ll send you Photo Guidelines.

(Here’s our theme for the Winter 2007 issue: Does Your Community Influence the Wider Culture?

Has your community’s or organized neighborhood’s sustainability plans or practices changed the attitude, behavior, or practices of any visitors, neighbors, or local zoning, building code, or traffic control officials, or changed any local city or town ordinances? If so, how? Have your group’s practices in cooperative decision-making, communication and process traditions, or shared resources influenced any neighbors, visitors, or local officials? If so, how?

Date to receive your article idea: July 1, 2007 Article deadline: August 27, 2007)

I. WHAT "SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE" MEANS. We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

II. GETTING PERMISSION AHEAD OF TIME. Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. It’s difficult for us to get all set to run an article only to find that the author’s fellow community members say No at the last minute.

III. PUBLICATION RIGHTS. Once your article appears in Communities magazine, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in Communities magazine the first time it appears in North America. After that, you own it again. If you’d like to use it elsewhere, you can, and, we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying “This article first appeared in Communities magazine, (date); for further information on Communities magazine: www.ic.org.”

IV. PHOTOS. We will also want high-resolution digital photos or hard- copy photos (including snapshots) of people and/or communities to illustrate your story.

Please do not send photos to me directly, but to photos [at] ic.org.

We will assume that any people in your photos have already given you permission to appear in Communities magazine—or you already know they will be fine with it. If you think tis will be a problem, please take care of it before sending us photos. Thanks very much.

We’re seeking high-contrast photos (the magazine is in black and white) of people, either engaged in doing things or smiling at the camera. We also use photos of community buildings or scenes from a neighborhood, but preferably with people in them.

For digital images, we’re seeking photos taken on at least a 3 to 4 megapixel camera (higher megapixels is better!) at the highest-resolution setting, so that we get photos which are at least 300 to 360 dots per inch at 5” x 7” size. (By the way, photos from a website aren’t high enough resolution to be used in a print publication.)

Our most preferred format for photos is tiff but if the images are already jpegs then jpegs are fine. Please send them at the highest resolution possible which might mean sending only one photo per email (depending on your email service provider's limits). Some email programs automatically reduce the size of images being emailed so you might check to make sure yours is not doing so. If you have prints you can either scan them (we can give you more details if you plan to do this) or you can send them to the Communities magazine office and we will have them scanned. We will return them in good condition.

If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that’s fine, however, you must let me know in advance. Then if we use your article we'll get an illustrator, but we need plenty of notice ahead of time for this. Thank you.

V. COLOR COVER PHOTOS. We are also seeking vertically oriented, color photos for our front cover. We pay $150 for a cover photo we publish.

For a cover photo—which “sells” the magazine to newsstand browsers—we’re looking for five features:

(1) A vertical photo of one or two people (or even three) in the foreground or mid-foreground, engaged in doing something, or looking at the camera. Other people can be in the background, or not.

(2) The foreground or middle ground look right into the camera (so they can bridge to the newsstand browser), with expressions we might call “warm and connected”—happiness, contentment, thoughtfulness, or engagement, etc. Or, they don’t have to have expressions like these, as long as they don’t look unhappy, upset, frustrated, bored, etc. We’re also open to publishing cover photos which one might call “compelling” rather than “warm and connected.”

(3) The people are wearing clothes in colors that look good together (ideally bright, clear colors), and which don’t clash. (i.e. one person isn’t wearing purple and another orange, for example.)

            (4) A community-type “scene” is visible behind them.

(5) Something kind of blank, or relatively low contrast is in the upper right or upper left corner, where we can put the issue name and article titles.

            Again, cover photos don’t go to me, but to photos [at] ic.org.

Thank you very much! We look forward to hearing from you if you are inspired by any of these upcoming topics, or any of our regular topics.

            Diana Leafe Christian

            Editor, Communities Magazine,

communities [at] ic.org