FW: Visit to Sebastopol
From: D. Josepha Schiffman (sephamac.com)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:51:48 -0700 (PDT)
In his email to Karen, Raines referenced: "two affordable cohousing projects
under development (one homeowner, one rental)." My husband and I live in
Berkeley, & we're on 'waiting lists' (such as they are:-) at Two Acre Wood,
Frog Song and 40 Oaks. We didn't know about these projects under
development. If anyone could tell us more about these 2 new cohousing
projects, or any other you know of in the Sonoma, Marin, Napa area, I'd be
very grateful.
Thanks in advance.
Sepha.
510-558-3458

Hi, Karen. Congratulations on your upcoming inflatable space station
commune orbiting Mars (inside joke that will be explained soon in a
separate message), and welcome to Northern California Cohousing. I
visited one of your community meetings last year, and was impressed
both with the site and the group (and the incredible amount of
cohousing activity happening in Madison, between the existing built
group and the under-construction affordable project north of town and
the new one happening out West.

Unfortunately, you'll just miss next week's Coho/US-organized bus
tour that visits several East Bay and North Bay cohousing
neighborhoods, but you may be able to visit several individually.

Do keep in mind that only a small fraction of people living in
cohousing are on this mailing list; you may want to contact some
individually via the Coho/US cohousing communities directory:
http://directory.cohousing.org/

In Sebastopol in particular there is one long-established community,
Two Acre Wood, and two affordable cohousing projects under
development (one homeowner, one rental). In nearby Cotati, Frog Song
is at the heart of a small town's downtown, and Yulupa is just up the
road in Santa Rosa. The small but lovely Forty Oaks in Petaluma
(which has flickered on and off of cohousing lists because of its
unconventional no-common-house-yet arrangement) could well be worth a
visit if you can find a host there.

If you can make it down the road to the East Bay, you'll find the
U.S. city with the most cohousing neighborhoods, Oakland, California,
and communities in nearby Emeryville and Berkeley, as well as just
East of the Hills in Pleasant Hill. If your visit coincides with my
being in town I'd be happy to host you for a visit or common dinner
here at Berkeley cohousing. Do check the East Bay Cohousing calendar
for any happenings during your visit:
http://www.ebcoho.org/

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach
Planning for Sustainable Communities
Regional Organizer, Northern California Cohousing
http://www.norcalcoho.org/