Re: Sustainable and green housing in cohousing communities
From: Sghulbert (Sghulbertaol.com)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:04:21 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Cohousing friends,

I am one of the members of Nubanusit Neighborhood and Farm in Peterborough
NH.  Our homes and farm are currently under construction; and we still  have
homes available, see _www.peterboroughcohousing.org_
(http://www.peterboroughcohousing.org) .  Our green standards are very high
which means our prices are
higher than the  norm (for our area).  It is always a challenge to
prioritize/balance  sustainability and costs.  Some of the green features of
our homes are
as  follows:

·         Combined approaches of  high insulation levels, triple glazed
windows, airtight construction, and fresh  air ventilation with heat recovery
dramatically reduce heating costs while  achieving very comfortable living
environments.
·         Heat recovery on the  warm wastewater will lower hot water costs.
·         The central wwod  pellet boiler plant will use a locally produced
biomass fuel instead of imported  fossil fuels to provide heat and hot water.
We understand that currently,  ours is the largest district heating system
using biomass in the U.S.
·         Energy efficient  lighting and the widespread use of daylighting
will create bright interiors with  low energy input.
·         Most roofs are  oriented towards the sun to support future solar
collectors for electricity and  hot water.
·         An internal electrical  metering system is in place for future
metering of on-site green electricity  generation.
·         Water use is reduced  with low flow fixtures and dual flush
toilets.
·         A healthy indoor  environment is provided by selection of
low-toxicity building materials and a  fresh air ventilation system with heat
recovery.

·         The buildings are  designed and detailed to be durable and low
maintenance.
·         The site design  preserves the farm fields, wetlands, river and
woodlands for food production,  wildlife and recreation.
·         The neighborhood is a  1.25 mile walk from downtown Peterborough.
·         Office/studio rental  space is available on-site.
·         An on-site biodynamic  farm will produce food for local
consumption.
Shelley Goguen  Hulbert
Shelley Goguen  Hulbert
Nubanusit Neighborhood &  Farm