Re: Cost of Building Green & payback when savings
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 06:29:22 -0700 (PDT)

On May 29, 2007, at 8:54 AM, sally thompson wrote:

If any of you can let me know which "Green" features you used and whether you think it was worth it, that would be helpful, too. (i.e. counter tops made of recycled materials--did they cost a lot more & were they worth it?)

Even though we had a bad installer and have been correcting our system ever since we put it in, I would still go with geothermal again. Use Water Furnaces, most reliable and best performing according to all our sources here. We have Florida heat pumps that are okay but not great, although Bosch has just bought them so that may be a good sign.

Also we just found out that it is better _not_ to put in a well for each unit. Better to have several water wells connected to a manifold so water from all the wells is used by all the units. That way when one well dies, you can just do without it.

Otherwise, it is hard to measure, on an individual basis, the value of green in terms of use once you are built.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing