Re: Cost of Building Green & payback when savings
From: dahako (dahakoaol.com)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 04:15:20 -0700 (PDT)
 Hi-

At both Eno Commons and Eastern Village, we employed professionals who gave us
that information based on our site, climate, house design, etc.? (Plus, I think
your HVAC choices may have payback over time based on lower power bills, but
the concept does not apply the same way to counter tops.)

In both cohousings mentioned, we used geothermal heating/cooling.? Eno Commons
is a mix of single stand-alone homes and paired townhomes.? Each unit has its
own well and its own indoor WaterFurnace heat pump.? The homes are well
insulated, have windows and window films designed to take advantage of their
location on a long southern slope, high thermal mass in the floors and siding,
metal roofs with ventilation that draws from the under-eave soffits out through
a ridge vent, and good thermal isolation between the roof and indoor ceilings.?
Robert Heinich can probably remember the consultant's name.? He was very
helpful, and he has also done work elsewhere in North Carolina figuring out how
to "green" affordable housing for not too much money.? We paid some attention
to indoor air quality (mostly be picking low off-gassing finishes), but we
stuck to mainstream market stuff for the most part because we wanted to control
costs (though green costs are coming down now).? Oh, and we ultimately picked
geothermal not for its energy savings, but because it meant a much quieter
neighborhood, without air conditioning condensors or heat pumps outside each
home.

Eastern Village is a bunch of condo apartments in a single building.? We have
geothermal here on a shared loop(s?) with each unit having its own heat pump
and controls.? I don't know what brand our units are here, but they are
definitely louder than our Water Furnace was.? Work OK though.? We are LEED
Silver certified, just a couple points off LEED Gold.? We have an extremely
high efficiency hot water system, lots of insulation, fancy windows, low VOC
paint, real linoleum and bamboo flooring, a green roof (with gazebo and
playground), and lots more I can't remember. Our construction advocate (aka
owners' rep) was Stan Serson, and he also handled the set-up for LEED
certification along with my neighbor Kara Strong and the green architecture
team she works with (offices in the commercial side of Eastern Village.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where the flower boxes overflow with blooms and the courtyard is a green oasis
full of kids and cats and neighbors."