Re" Cost of building green
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 22:06:39 -0700 (PDT)
Consider putting a line item in your budget for more-costly features that are desired because of environmental factors. For example, in building my house I might have nixed one environmental upgrade after another because the particular upgrade would double or triple the cost of that item. With a line item, you know you have a budget for some of it, and simply need to prioritize. I think it was Chris Scott-Hanson, at a long-ago communities forum, who first brought this to my attention. I used the concept with my house, and with our Common House. Though our Common House was built fairly frugally, this meant we still could use Smart Wood oak for our dining room floor, and Marmoleum in our kitchen and kid room, for example.
Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
where we have a great two story strawbale home for sale, and a 2BR/2bath home for rent for a year - the resale is on www.rosewind.org; for the rental contact me off list, welcome(at)olympus.net