Re: Cost of Building Green & payback when savings
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 05:06:56 -0700 (PDT)
I'm working with a group trying to save a very big old movie theater. (http://www.takomatheatredc.org) If we are able to buy the building one of the of the renovations (I hope) will be to install geothermal heat pumps. If anyone has any information on large buildings using this system, I would appreciate it (please send to me personally since this is off topic). This is a non-profit so I'm also hoping to find grant money to support this.

On topic, the experience obtained from building a cohousing community is very valuable in rebuilding communities. I'm finding that everything I have learned from reading this list and developing a cohousing community has allowed me to be able to say, we can do this when it came time to save a theater.

People who have just sat through a million meetings -- who were not even on the design team -- know so much more about where the money comes from, how you start planning construction, and how to plan and maintain energy systems than people who have not had this experience. So building cohousing communities means that we are increasing our people capital in all the wider community.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing