Re: non-profit status
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:48:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 4, 2007, at 12:09 PM, Lynette Bassman wrote:

We are a group in formation (starting construction
next month, with openings for more members) and have had to pass up
several opportunities for substantially lower rates for ads on radio and
in print that are available to non-profits.  Also, we have been unable
to qualify for public service announcements on TV and radio when we have
had special events.  It's probably wishful thinking, but I'd just like
to know if there is any precedent out there.

Look at state requirements for incorporation as a non-profit. One group incorporated as a non-profit umbrella to further the cause of cohousing. They were open to helping several groups form and the umbrella had no vested interest as an organization in any of the communities. So you could organize such a group.

It's a hard sell to make the argument that people who are building their own homes are a non-profit organization since each member stands to gain on a personal basis from their success.

Sharon.