Re: non-profit status
From: Steve Faber (stevecityvisioninc.org)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:57:32 -0700 (PDT)
Our group originally structured as a nonprofit (state, not federal 501c3). This was incredibly valuable in the beginning stages because we were given some breaks on rates, etc. that we struggled to afford in those initial years However, we transferred our assets over to LLC when it came time to develop the project. The final conversion will happen when we become a Homeowners Association. We also have a partnership with a nonprofit who is serving as our project manager on the project. There have been times that they have been able to use their nonprofit status to get us through doors more cheaply as well. Our accountant and lawyer helped us make the appropriate change, at the appropriate time in the most appropriate way.

Steve