Re: Estimated Start up costs
From: Steve Faber (stevecityvisioninc.org)
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 08:54:20 -0700 (PDT)
This may be more general than you are looking for but we are a self- developed project, and here are some of our percentages for our 20 unit, 1 common house, 1 acre development in Michigan:

Our Development Costs (Professionals: Architect, Legal, Accountant, Project Management and Site Development: Utilities, Site Development) accounted for about 8.8% of our Total Project Budget.

Our Soft Costs (Marketing, Financing, Land Holding) accounted for about 7.2% of our Total Project Budget.

For the most part, these were costs that we had to pay out of pocket before we could get Construction Financing. Some of these costs are pretty static whether you are doing 5 units or 500 units, others are going to flex based on the nature and size of your development. Something we noticed was that developers in our area thought we were paying way too much for Architect, but they were worth every penny. Also, some of you legal fees will increase if you have a difficult piece of property.

Hope this is helpful,

Steve
Newberry Place