Re: LLC Bylaws?
From: Martie Weatherly (mhweatherlyearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 22:39:41 -0700 (PDT)
Just a word of caution to groups hoping to save on legal fees. We at Liberty Village formed an LLP in Maryland and basically wrote the document ourselves. 8 years later after a long delay where our community is only 50% built and there is still debt to be paid off and a few years until we can finish the community, one couple became very disenchanted and threatened to sue.

Our document had no specifics for how a partner can leave and our attorney basically said it would not hold up in court. Only because we were committed to working out our differences with the disenchanted couple and only because we have some wonderful members of our community who bought them out, have we survived. We are now faced with the document expiring at the end of this year and we have to decide whether to have a lawyer rewrite it (lots of $) or take a chance again. We also have had three deaths in that time, and luckily the estates did not pursue being paid back.

It makes those lawyer fees of long ago that we thought were too expensive look like they might have been worth it.

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village

leslie mink wrote:

Hi, April - we actually haven't filed this yet, but this is what we came up
with.  No legal input on it either.  Like you, I've been hoping for a more
legal document, to go by so we could save on some legal fees.  -Leslie Mink