Re: insurance
From: Karen Scheer (karenmonkeyhouse.org)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
Leah wrote:
We are a 13 unit cohousing development that is expected to be completed in
August. (by the way, we still have one unit available!) We have carried
liability insurance from the time of construction until this week, at which
time it runs out. At some point, we will be able to start our HOA insurance but
we are thinking that won't be until construction is over in less than 2 months.
The contractor has insurance but the insurance we had before would cover
anything that was not considered the fault of the contractor and was blamed on
us as the developers, including legal costs. For us to renew this it would be
$1800 regardless of the fact that it is for such a short time. They would not
reimburse us for using it for only part of the year. The insurance agent says
most people don't get this kind of insurance and just take a chance that no one
will get hurt. What have others done?
  Leah Schindler
Bear Creek Village Ashland, Oregon