sociocratic consent - a question
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 06:13:02 -0700 (PDT)
My cohousing community is currently examining both our plenary decision-making process -- currently the flavor of consensus that includes an escape clause -- and our governance structures.

We have had nearly 10 years of meetings and committee work, the last five of them in residence. Hardly any irreversible building-type decisions are left to make; nearly all of our issues nowadays are about creating and sustaining good practices for living together and enjoying the life. We wonder if the same processes that got us this far are the best way to continue or if we should try different ways.

MY QUESTION: Would it work for a community to (maybe) adopt the sociocratic consent method of decision making independently of adopting the sociocratic organizational structure. I don't know how the two decisions will turn out; we're still in the information-gathering mode.

Sharon V, does your new book cover sociocratic consent as a stand-alone decision-making concept? or is your description of it totally bound up with the sociocratic governance system?

Thanks!

    Muriel Kranowski
    Shadowlake Village Cohousing
    Blacksburg, VA