Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 41, Issue 23
From: Diana Porter (porterdcinci.rr.com)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:48:56 -0700 (PDT)
I am working with a community committee In Northside, in Cincinnati, to complete our LEED-ND pilot application to become a pilot project for the new LEED neighborhood rating. We have an 11 acre hillside that we are including in the 80+ acres site. In the 60's, the state was going to build a free-way extension and since some of the houses were slipping down the hill anyway due to poor water management, they tore down the houses. However, it never got built and has been overgrown green space and just this year, the state is selling the property back to the city to be developed. They are getting more interested in seeing a cohousing community or a cohousing-like community being built on this site.

The pictures of the Springhill community (www.springhillcohousing.com) looked like a very interesting model for this development. Did anyone figure out how to get more information on the SUDS? Does anyone know of other communities built on a hillside that managed its water creatively? Our Metropolitan Sewer District was sued by the Sierra Club and there is a huge settlement in the works. The 11 acres may be made available to a cohousing group at a much reduced price with some geological studies already done and some infrastructure paid for by the city AND there may be some settlement money to do something creative with the water management. Has anyone else done a project with the city and county?

We have had two previous cohousing groups in this neighborhood in the last 10 years. Is there anyone still out there interested in working on such a project? Any lurkers out there in southern Ohio who might be interested in talking about this project (off line)? Any suggestions?

Diana Porter
porterd [at] cinci.rr.com