Re: Is communal ownership obligatory for cohousing?
From: Becky Weaver (beckyweaverswbell.net)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
>       "Intentional neighborhood"?

I like your suggested term "intentional neighborhood."
To me, it expresses the balance you seem to be working
toward, between cooperation and independence.

I think people can waste a lot of time arguing over
the philosophical implications of calling stuff by one
name or another. But there are practical reasons to
choose terminology carefully.

I think that using the term "cohousing" to describe
your plans might get confusing. I do think that the
term "cohousing" today implies shared ownership of the
common facilities and the resulting HOA or co-op type
organizational structure.

Becky Weaver
Kaleidoscope Village
Austin, Texas

This is the true joy of life: being used up for a purpose recognized by
yourself as a mighty one; being a force of nature instead of a feverish,
selfish little clot of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will
not devote itself to making you happy.
--George Bernard Shaw