How to develop a group for 50+ without family
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 01:21:29 -0700 (PDT)
At 5:10 PM -0600 9/1/05, Rick Mockler wrote:
Coho US has two upcoming workshops which will offer a great boost to
groups recruiting new members and planning to work with developers and builders. These are intended for a national audience. Please pass this on to your coho group's listserve!

I was really excited about the prospect of connecting up with like-minded cohousers and joining a project. Then I started considering things like: Will I like living in Vermont or Ithaca? I was born and raised in California. At age 20 or 30 I probably could have made the jump easily. But at age 50+ with some physical restrictions, I'm less likely to make the leap before looking.

I decided I needed to slow down and perhaps live in some vastly different geographical areas in a rental before committing to a project if I could find 'like minded' individuals.

All of this prospect still overwhelms me which is why I pulled back from keeping up with posts to this list and the small house listserv. There's no way I could 'spearhead' formation of a group -- my capacity to function at that level went bye bye about 5 years ago.

I find myself wanting to start a separate 'conversation' just for people like me -- single, approaching the Third Age (50+) but still kicking, with little or no family who would like to create something were we all could age in place. We wouldn't be ready for ElderShire yet.

Since it's likely we'd be located over a large geographical range, I thought it might be good to have an online place to talk about what we are thinking about, what we want, and perhaps how we can create it in our own locations. Or where we can find it if some of us move to one geographic location.

Hope this all makes sense. Originally I was disappointed with the cohousing experience because the definition of 'affordable' wasn't affordable for me. I don't plan on going into debt with a mortgage and wouldn't qualify for one anyway due to my limited income. I could afford to build something smaller than 1,000 square feet - pay for it outright.

I'm open to suggestions about how those of us who fit this demographic (or close to it) can connect to figure out how to modify the standard cohousing model to meet the needs of the 50+ boomers without kids. Or maybe I'm missing another way of looking at what I'd like to create for myself as I get older.

Cheers!
Marganne
Sacramento, CA
(where it's too hot in the summer!)