Re: SPAM filter on Community's EMail Address?
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:51:45 -0700 (PDT)
I'm in the same position as Robert in that I monitor my community's email queries, and that account was getting huge amounts of spam messages which were either disgusting or a big waste of my time. We also got a lot of mystery notes with either no subject line or something dopy like "hello" or "hi" where you had to actually open the message to know if it was legitimate.

My approach to these annoyances was to put a request on our website's "CONTACT US" page that says something like "Please put 'Shadowlake Village' in your subject line so we'll know it isn't spam."

Our info email is a Yahoo account, and between their improved spam filter and the subject line, I'm dealing with much fewer junk emails to that account - maybe 1 or 2 a day, or none for a couple of days.

I used to regularly check the account's temporary spam-holding folder to see if a real query had slipped through, as long as there weren't large numbers of them in there and I had the time. I did once rescue an actual query that way, but I don't check in that folder any more. So many of those subject lines were so disgusting and offensive to me that I decided to ignore them, even if it means ignoring a valid message once in a rare while.

   Muriel Kranowski
   Shadowlake Village Cohousing
   Blacksburg, VA