Re: [C-L] How to develop a group for 50+ without family
From: Seth Schneider (sethbigpoint.org)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:38:44 -0700 (PDT)
On Jun 28, 2007, Sharon Villines wrote:

> Any discussions about how to make housing more affordable will
> appeal to everyone and there are some answers out there. Someone
> just needs to pull them together.

I've been lurking on this list for a little while, but want to chime in with
agreement about Sharon's point. I'm extremely interested in the
affordability part of the discussion, even though I'm significantly under 50
years old.

Along these lines, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any cohousing
developments that have been built entirely, or in part, by the residents.
Building one's own (single family) home can save a significant amount of
money. And while building a cohousing development together seems more
complex than building a single dwelling and full of potential risks, the
monetary savings could be quite significant.

In addition to examples, I welcome any opinions about this concept (even if
it's along the lines of "you're crazy to even consider the idea").

Seth