50+ and affordable
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:18:49 -0700 (PDT)
At 8:23 AM -0400 6/28/07, Sharon Villines wrote:

I have some suggestions for moving it forward here.

Sharon, I was hoping you would respond. I look forward to hearing your insights and suggestions.

I've followed this list for many years. Recently I've seen the 'elderly' demographic break out to combine cohousing with assisted living characteristics to capture the economy of sharing health care costs, some living expenses, and for social bonding.

True affordability, with it's many definitions, is another segment of people with specific needs. A big section of the boomer generation is facing aging in place with the breakdown of the 'traditional' family unit.

Name your discussion -- minimalist 50+ singles -- so people can follow the thread.

My named topic is the subject line of this post: 50+ and affordable. Hopefully this won't discourage anyone of any age from participating in this topic. Fifty is the new 40, after all!!

In cohousing a location often does this focusing.
Without a location, you need to create a focus.

A good point. I bet that, several years from now, it won't be difficult to find a group of people like this based on specific regions or towns.

From time to time, summarize where you are so far. Take some risks
-- be a leader. Some one will disagree with you because they have different goals but you focus yours and those of the group you are forming around yourself.

I can do this. I can share my decision-making process, which I realize I haven't been doing as my vision of cohousing takes shape. This list is the best source for gathering like-minded people who may be new to cohousing.

Any discussions about how to make housing more affordable will appeal
to everyone and there are some answers out there.

Yes. I still hear from people who insist a dwelling can't be built for less than $300,000. That's what prompted me to look for affordable alternatives and join the Small House Society. Information I've collected there and elsewhere online convinced me the cohousing model can be made to fit my definition of affordable -- less than $100,000.

(Admittedly, this level of affordability probably won't be found in California, my home state. But it can be found in almost any other state in the US -- maybe Florida too! LOL)

Cheers!
Marganne