Re: How to develop a group for 50+ without family,
From: Tom Hammer (thammer302yahoo.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 06:47:55 -0700 (PDT)
I'm confused by your question below.  Seems to me that
most cohousing groups are not "focused" on raising
children, so I'm interested in where the perception
comes from.  Our group is encouraging members who have
children to join since they seem to be the most
difficult group to recruit.  We also encourage GLBTs
to join.  However, the % of folks with children is
apparently much higher than the % of GLBTers, so we
will probably end up with less than half GLBT that you
are looking for.

If that is your goal, I suggest joining a forming
group that looks promising early in the recruitment
process and then marketing the group with gusto among
your GLBT contacts.  You'll have a significant impact
on the community that way.  Early joiners + passion =
huge effects.

Tom Hammer
Concord Village
forming near where DE/PA/MD meet
"Planning a community that won't use any fossil
fuels."

> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:07:03 EDT
> From: Ruthpoet [at] aol.com
> Subject: Re: [C-L]_ How to develop a group for 50+
> without family,
>       plus affordability
> To: cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list, but was interested by this
> topic. My partner and I are
> 47 and 45, no kids. So the host of new
> elder-cohousing projects happening out
> there are probably 15 years premature for us, but
> the majority of other
> co-housing seems to be focused on raising kids,
> which also doesn't fit for  us.
> Seems to me the childless 40s and 50s group is a
> whole 'nother  demographic...
> We are fine with living with younger folks and older
> folks too,  of course,
> but I'm talking about how the community is designed.
>  (Also, we  are lesbians,
> and a lot of communities seem to be designed with a
> very hetero  focus, though
> "open to" others. Then there are the communities
> that are  exclusively LGBT.
> We'd prefer more like a half and half mix. Anyone
> else like us  out there?)

=== message truncated ===