Re: How to develop a group for 50+ without family,
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 07:18:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 30, 2007, at 9:47 AM, Tom Hammer wrote:

Seems to me that
most cohousing groups are not "focused" on raising
children, so I'm interested in where the perception
comes from.

I wonder if you have children? I think parents are less aware of how child focused cohousing communities are. For many years before moving into cohousing I was living in Manhattan where there were NO children in the majority of buildings I lived in. In one building of over 400 apartments, there were two. I never went to restaurants where there were children of any age. 95% of my friends and close acquaintances had grown children if any, who lived far away. The vast majority of people in parks were adults.

 We also encourage GLBTs
to join.  However, the % of folks with children is
apparently much higher than the % of GLBTers

Literally _all_ of our self-identified GL households have children.

Not trying to be argumentative, just adding some info.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing