Re: How to develop a group for 50+ without family
From: Stuart Joseph (stuartcaercoburn.org)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
MaryAlice,

Fred H Olson wrote:

I know what you mean about "affordable".  Affordable and 1,000 sq. ft. ,
for the most part, don't exist.
What do you consider affordable? A First Day Cottage can be built for $60.00 per square foot without labor costs or the land costs. If you do the building yourself, a 1,000 sq. foot house would be about $60,000.00 for everything, unless you have to install an exotic septic system. If you hire out the labor, you can figure that it will take 1/2-3/4 of an hour per square foot of house, depending upon the type of house you are building. You can figure your labor costs from that, depending upon what you pay someone to build the house and how much you are willing to do yourself.

Since the houses are designed to be built by someone with no experience, you won't need to hire the most qualified carpenter you can find. In fact, First day discourages folks from using a regular carpenter because they "know better" and won't follow the FD instructions. FD also has folks that have built their own FD Cottages and will build for others, their rates run about $20.00 per hour.
   I'm like you in that I have no family any
more (never did have too many) and am looking for a small living space,
designed well, of course.
First Day actually designs the house for you within the parameters of their building system.
  That's what attracted me to learn more about
co-housing.  So far, I'm not finding that, but I'll keep reading and
searching, and maybe something will enter my radar screen one of these
days.

Good luck.

  MaryAlice
  Indiana

Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Project Director
Caer Coburn, a traditional village based upon cohousing  and intentional
communities in
Rockingham, Vermont, USA
http://www.caercoburn.org
Mail to: