Re: 50+ and affordable
From: Stuart Joseph (stuartcaercoburn.org)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:26:28 -0700 (PDT)
Lia,

Lia Olson wrote:
I hadn't yet gotten around to responding, but this is a topic dear to my heart.
 I want to retire and live in co-housing, but I won't have equity for a
down-payment and won't have anywhere near the income needed to buy into most
existing cohousing communities.
Please tell me what you mean by equity for a down payment?
   Which doesn't mean that I won't have a solid
pension and financial stability.  There must be a way for responsible folks
crafting a third act to their lives to create a viable community.
As long as you are buying something, you will have to come up with the money to buy it and most mortgage companies will require some sort of a down payment.

You can become a member of Caer Coburn and pay part of the membership fee over time which is applied to the cost of the land and your house lot. What you have paid would be considered a down payment by one of the banks that I have talked to, which would lead you to a construction loan that would convert to a mortgage once your house is done.

--
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Project Director