Re: 50+ and affordable
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
Robin said: " A depressing prospect for folks who have worked hard their whole lives and then are forced into destitution and dependency."

Dear Robin,

Oh, yes -- a very depressing prospect, even for those of us who know not to expect the traditional American dream our parents instilled in us. I suspect there is the potential for an arrangement that could be MUCH BETTER for us than what prior generations have experienced!

When my mom was in independent living, most of the folks there were well into their 70s to 90s *and* had some type of physical or mental problem that required someone else to be around on a regular basis.

What I'd like to find/create is an affordable cohousing project that isn't traditional independent living for retired elders. I worry about what might happen when I reach the point of needing assistance, but know I still have many good years to enjoy as an independent, 'middle aged' adult. With any luck, if I can find or create a positive living situation, I may never need the 'help' provided in a nursing home. I also might be able to help create that for others.

This is where the idea of living in a multi-generational project has the advantage of people of all ages that are able to do different things -- an interweaving of support much like the times when it was common for multiple generations to live together.

I think there is a cohousing project in the Sierra Nevada foothills not far from me where an elder-hostel project was built alongside a 'regular' cohousing group. I'd like to hear how that arrangement is working out.

Although I think I'd prefer to live alongside people around my age without lots of young children around, I'm still open to considering other types of mixtures that create a happy environment for all. I just know there are many Baby Boomers like me who have been independent most of their lives and have no family they'd want to become dependent on later in life. For us to gather together to support each other's lives seems natural.

Cheers!
Marganne