50+ and affordable - Face to Face?
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:56:24 -0700 (PDT)
At 9:26 PM -0700 6/29/07, Erika Lockhart wrote:
Marganne & all re: this topic:

I'm glad to hear interest in keeping this topic on the list ... [snip] I wrote earlier to the list after seizing on the idea of co-housing for a few friends and I who are at or near 50 and would like to at least semi-retire in the next few years ... [snip] One of us already owns the land ... [snip] I appreciate all the contributions to this list that taught me a lot, as well as the personal e-mails. [snip] ... We've agreed, tentatively, that we will build a fairly conventional house, which will help to preserve the retail value in case we decide to liquidate ... [snip]

Erika,

What you and your friends are working together to do is exciting. I'm curious
about how you managed to keep your estimate to $100,000 each. Approximately how many square feet will the house be? And what were you considering for square footage for an out-building/love shack? LOL Also, how much land do you have to use? If this arrangement helps you meet mortgage concerns, yet leaves you feeling secure in your resale value -- it's wonderful!

Someone please chime in here who knows more about building codes than I do. Would what Erika describes be a good way to satisfy minimum square foot codes, yet eventually accomplish creation of a series of detached, small homes surrounding the 'common' house? That would make it flexible enough for resale and provide potential rental housing for someone wanting to use the property in a more traditional way.

Another way to keep costs down (or to defer them) would be for members to share an existing structure on a property while in the process of creating other, smaller structures. Is this naive or is it possible?

Maybe the people on this list who are looking for communities should all
have a big face-to-face meeting and see if they can form their own.  With a
time-frame of maybe 3-5 years, perhaps some friendships may blossom that
could enable other projects like ours!  I'm sure that most of us in this age
range are finding that we are losing friends more frequently than we used
to, and an opportunity to make new friends with similar interests is
definitely a blessing.

Ain't it the truth. It took me a long time to figure out why my mom decided to move more than 500 miles (in her 70s) from where she lived for 50 years (house where I was born). Either people were dying or moving away to live closer to their children so there really wasn't anything holding her there.

An opportunity for face-to-face time would be wonderful and would enhance development of plans from long distance. Since I don't know of anyone here who is interested in cohousing of any type, let alone one where we 'age in place', meeting might be a great catalyst -- for all kinds of cohousing.

Cheers!
Marganne