Re: Internet Service
From: Dirk Herr-Hoyman (hoymanddanenet.org)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 04:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Sharron-  I'll have to confess I have an alternate view of doing
an intranet within a cohousing community.  Given the costs of
buying DSL or Cable or Satellite internet ($20 or so a month),
the level of service you get from these, and the pace of technology
change, I am recommending our cohousing have individuals do their
own internet directly with these service providers.
I work in IT for a major university (University of Wisconsin)
and have done a lot of telecommunications and networking over the
years, plus I'm a doit-yourself kinda guy.  I just see where
we can provide our own service at a lower cost or at as high a
level, it's likely both will be worse.

In terms of getting our own "servers", oh like for video or
web or email, that too I would just as soon outsource to some
commercial provider.  For $10/month (or less) you can find
a hosting service that will give you all the server you are likely
to need.

If there are community members who really enjoy doing this sort of
thing and are willing to give their time freely, which is to say
it's like a hobby, you might consider doing it.  Even there I
would offer some caution that one's free time one year could disappear
the next.

What's hard to do is invest in equipment, which will be out of date
within 3 years (typically).  As you are seeing, many will peel off
and go for commercial providers who have more up to date equipment.
Leasing, which is what you are doing with these subscription services,
puts you more nearly at the leading edge of what's good.

These are my own opinions and of course others may have a different view.
Good luck and hope you can find some network bliss soon!  --Dirk