Re: Internet Service
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 07:05:19 -0700 (PDT)
Dirk Herr-Hoyman said "I am recommending our cohousing have individuals do
their own internet directly with these [ISP] service providers."

Dick, there is a hybrid model.  Here at Eno Commons, our HOA entered into a
bulk agreement with Time-Warner.  So all units including the Common House are
receiving cable speed (5 Mbps) at a DSL price ($29/month).  The downside is
that this service is bundled with standard cable TV service but only a third of
us connect to it.

All houses and the Common House are connected to both cable internet and
standard cable TV service but we use the creative financing model of "trust
your neighbor" of having households tell our treasurer what services they are
using.  They are charged only for that service.  It made renting a room in the
Common House as an office viable and so with the rental income of the office,
the package is a revenue stream for the HOA (which pays for the construction
cost of finishing the Common House upstairs).

Time-Warner also offers a la carte features on their cable TV service so those
who want more from their cable TV can get it at an additional charge.  The
folks who elect to do this option get one bill from the HOA for the cable
internet and standard cable TV service and another from Time-Warner for the a
la carte services they chose.

It is working better that the wireless neighborhood network I had before.

However, I am still intrigued by the lower cost Great Oak Cohousing achieved
but wish to avoid bandwidth problems Sharon's group is experiencing.

So those who can offer insights, please respond.

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons Cohousing
 www.enocommons.org
 Durham, NC
 where having internet service to the Common House reduced our phone
 cost from $50/month (landline at a commercial rate) to less than
 $10/month (internet phone service from Lingo).