Re: [C-L] Small houses - pre-built or build-yourself
From: Stuart Joseph (stuartcaercoburn.org)
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
Ruth,

Ruthpoet [at] aol.com wrote:
Stuart - thanks so much for the tip about First Day Cottages. I wasn't familiar with them. Anyone else who isn't can check them out at _www.firstdaycottage.com_ (http://www.firstdaycottage.com) . They are "high quality, all-wood house kits" sold inexpensively.
Veda and I really like them. You should get their information packet with sample plans and DVD, it is very interesting.
For an option which is even cheaper, and is pre-built, but much smaller, folks might want to check out _www.tumbleweedhouses.com_ (http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com) . These are incredibly ingenious, beautifully designed entire "hous es" that come pre-built and range in size from 100 to 500 square feet.Last I checked they cost from $30K to $50K, but included bathrooms, kitchens, etc. They are based in California so the delivery charge to the east coast would add a bit - I think it's $1 per mile.

At that rate, it would cost $3052.10 for delivery to our area. FYI, First Day Cottages are just across the river from us, so delivery is free.

I do like some of their designs, especially the ones that look period and can be towed. I am a member of the Society for creative Anachronism and I perform historical magic at festivals and renaissance faires, so I am always intrigued by a period looking trailer.
But for those on the west coast, delivery would be cheap!
Or someone could tow some of them home.

Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Project Director
Caer Coburn, a traditional village based upon cohousing  and intentional
communities in
Rockingham, Vermont, USA
http://www.caercoburn.org
Mail to: