Re: Walking gently - what does it take?
From: Alexander Robin A (alexande.robiuwlax.edu)
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:36:34 -0700 (PDT)
Excellent point, Racheli. So something might be cheap because resources were
used efficiently in its production in a "good" way. Factory farms are
"efficient" but only because many of the real costs are hidden (poor quality of
the food, damage caused by chemicals, use of antibiotics, etc.). As you point
out, it might be cheap because people are being exploited in its creation or
"free" materials are being used again with hidden costs such as loss of
forests, etc. It's a pretty complex issue and, except for the easy choice of
farmers' markets, shopping has become almost a career in itself!

Robin Alexander