Re: Internet Service
From: R.P. Aditya (adityagrot.org)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:02:49 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 10:05:02AM -0400, Robert Heinich wrote:
> However, I am still intrigued by the lower cost Great Oak Cohousing achieved
> but wish to avoid bandwidth problems Sharon's group is experiencing.

I'm not sure what sort of insight I can offer, but what works for us is as
follows:

1 Comcast Business (to legally allow reselling) cable-modem account ~
$80/month (+ 5 static IPs for $10/month)

1 TDS 768/768K business DSL account as backup ~ $80/month (+ 5 static IPs for
$10/month)

the above is connected to a used HP 4000M switch bought off of ebay with 48
10/100 ports for $500 almost 2 years ago -- should be much cheaper now -- and
we have a Soekris 4501 (www.soekris.com) running m0n0wall
(http://m0n0.ch/wall/) software doing the NAT/routing/rate-shaping etc.

the community buildings were wired with direct-bury cat5 at construction time,
we've had to rerun the cables to one building so far over a different path due
to the original cable being accidentally, partially, cut (we think) and
degrading in moist/freezing soil

if you have specific questions, please ask

Thanks,
Adi
Great Oak Cohousing
Ann Arbor, MI, USA