Re: [C-L] Announcement - Potential cohousing/eco-village in Shelburne Falls, MA
From: Stuart Joseph (stuartcaercoburn.org)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
Good luck with your project.
It is ambitious, but a great idea for recycling the site and the buildings.
One thing to check on, is whether or not it is a toxic dump since it is an old factory.

Ruthpoet [at] aol.com wrote:
Hi Everyone,
For those who don't know Shelburne Falls - it's a beautiful little town up in the hills of Western Massachusetts. About 2 hours from Boston, about 45 minutes North of Northampton, and about 15 minutes from Greenfield, the largest big(ish) town. It's a magnet kind of place, scenic and artsy, filled with galleries, cafes and good restaurants, with a "bridge of flowers" you can walk across, and a beautiful river with "glacial potholes" (amazing holes and other formations carved in the river rock by glaciers). Anyway, there is an amazing site for sale there -- it's 18 acres, with 1550 feet river frontage, just two blocks from town. There are a bunch of old mill buildings on the site - it used to be the Lamson-Goodnow cutlery factory. The price is steep, $1.7 million, but the possibilities are vast. My partner and I are exploring the possibility of trying to do a large-ish eco-village/cohousing complex, using the old mill buildings for the most part -- maybe 50 units, plus a big common house? We are flexible, low key people, so our vision is flexible and low key as well -- lots of options for sharing meals, tools, activities, etc., but little or nothing mandatory. We would want to do the construction in VERY green fashion, and hope to have a wide range of unit sizes, from studios to 3 or 4 bedrooms. I'm putting out the word locally as well as here, to see if people emerge who have the energy, and also some $, to help carry this forward. My idea is that we would work with Cohousing Resources, LLC to develop and build. But one person already interested is a historic preservation architect, which could be great! For more info, please contact me off-list at this email or at 413-367-0034. Thanks!
Ruth

Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Project Director
Caer Coburn, a traditional village based upon cohousing  and intentional
communities in
Rockingham, Vermont, USA
http://www.caercoburn.org
Mail to: