Fair housing laws
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:27:56 -0700 (PDT)
At 8:33 PM -0400 7/1/07, Elizabeth Magill wrote:
 >> However ... there's nothing magic about the age "50."

 Why not cohousing for adults of all ages?

Federal Fair Housing Laws specify that discrimination based on "familial status" is illegal throughout the united states. "Familial status" is the presence of children or the possibility of children.

Elizabeth,

Thank you for posting the exact restrictions that exist. I've often wondered how people accomplished restricting their cohousing project to any particular belief or characteristic other than age 55. Has there been problems with projects that were, only for example, Christian, or Gay and Lesbian, or all men or all women? I've read that in the process of being considered for membership, these kinds of things usually reconcile themselves. But, if push came to shove, I thought the fair housing laws would prevail. Just curious.

Cheers!
Marganne