Building codes
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
At 4:20 PM -0400 7/2/07, I think Seth wrote:
 Even if you didn't, local building and zoning codes are more
restrictive in California, so your particular experience might not apply out here, but I would still appreciate hearing more about your experience.

I think the restrictiveness of building codes has the most effect on minimum and maximum home sizes on the county level in many places in California. Please don't quote me as I'm not directly experienced with applying building codes to a new home or remodel.

I'm told by those that do they they have experienced very *unrestrictive* building codes in Mendocino and Humboldt counties. I'd bet the same holds true in most states with multiple counties.

A while back on the Small House Society mailing list, I asked if there was a source on line where a list of small-house-friendly locations anywhere on the web or in a book. I didn't receive a web address, but was reminded that most planning commissions do post their codes on line these days.

Everything changes so quickly. Makes it difficult to generalize about things like building codes I think.

Cheers!
Marganne