|Re: attached vs detached||<– Date –> <– Thread –>|
|From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)|
|Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 04:01:27 -0700 (PDT)|
On Jul 2, 2007, at 2:07 PM, James Kacki wrote:
Does being so close cause interpersonal or societal conflicts that might not arise in detachedhousing. (I understand the green (environmental) and energy advantagesof single building construction, but this question is about the interpersonal implications). Anyone in that type of co-housing care to comment?
Good acoustics is important of units are attached. Dump money into those walls.
And have play areas for older kids away from living areas.Otherwise, the proximity is nice. I don't have to charge across a lawn to pop in to my neighbor's house. I can go see any one of upwards of 50 people or go to the CH without trudging in the rain. I think about that when I look at site plans with single family or two family units spread out all over the place. How does it affect their relationship to the common house? To the people at the other end?
Even in buildings that were not cohousing, I had closer relationships with people on my floor than with any of my neighbors in detached housing neighborhoods I've lived in. All these buildings had rules about what could be done and what couldn't be done -- like leaving your things in the hallways or what you could store on a balcony. Frankly, I wish we had more of these and there would be fewer conflicts.
But you can't have relationship without conflict. And no matter how far apart the houses are, you can still see them. And hear them. I don't think detached houses are a solution to conflict.
Sharon ---- Sharon Villines Takoma Village Cohousing Washington DC http://www.takomavillage.org
- Re: [C-L] How to develop a group for 50+ without family, (continued)
- Re: [C-L] How to develop a group for 50+ without family Brian Bartholomew, June 30 2007
- Re: [C-L] How to develop a group for 50+ without family Stuart Joseph, July 2 2007
- Re: attached vs detached James Kacki, July 2 2007
- Re: attached vs detached Bonnie Fergusson, July 2 2007
- Re: attached vs detached Sharon Villines, July 3 2007
- Re: [C-L] How to develop a group for 50+ without family Stuart Joseph, June 30 2007
- 50+ and affordable Marganne, June 29 2007
- Re: 50+ and affordable Lia Olson, June 29 2007
- Re: 50+ and affordable Stuart Joseph, June 30 2007
Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.